WordNet

RMC rcena at epcor-group.com
Thu Feb 3 20:24:57 UTC 2000

Chaumont,
WordNet's justification for imposing parts of speech categorization is that
"fundamental
differences on the semantic organization of these syntactic categories can
be clearly seen
and systematically exploited." Nouns are organized as topical hierarchies,
verbs as
entailment relations, and adjectives as n-dimensional hyperspaces. At a
psychologically
plausible level, lexical memory can be characterized in terms of various
ways of
organizations that happen to attract certain syntactic categories of words,
but not others.

I tend to agree. My particular concern, however, is that, if we keep true to
WordNet's
ambition (mapping the organization of lexical knowledge and providing an
index to this
knowledge via semantic senses rather than through words in alphabetical
order), we may miss
a significant chunk of this knowledge in languages like Tagalog if the role
of roots words
in the lexical organization is ignored. I can see the Tagalog verb _kinain_,
the noun _kainAn_,
and the adjective _kai:nin_ lexically *relate* to the root _kain_ 'eat'.
Nothing prevents setting up
a new WordNet relation. Once again, some languages may differ from
English in the way things are organized in a fundamental way. English may
support an
analysis that relates the English adverb _beautifully_ to the adjective
_beautiful_, but I can't
see any justification for such direct cross-POS relationships between
Tagalog N-V-A with the same
root (Tagalog appears not to have made up its mind yet on whether to
maintain proper lexical
adverbs.)

My immediate problem is that I am doing the data model, and, from experience
(my day job is
designing computer applications), leaving out something as potentially
significant as a root
level and incorporating it later will require massive and costly redesign.

Chaumont, are we perhaps boring the rest of the group? How about taking it
offline?

Cheers!
rcena at epcor-group.com