collecting authentic dugong stories

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Wed Feb 9 09:21:10 UTC 2000

Speaking of dugongs, does anyone on the list know the precise origin of the
word <dugong>?  It first appears as <dugung> in German, it seems, in
Ernst Christoph Barchewitz' _Neu-vermehrte Ost-Indianische
Reise-Beschreibung_ (Erfurt, 1752).  I have not examined this book,
but according to the _Oxford English Dictionary_, Barchewitz gives
<dugung> as the name of the animal on Leyte.  I believe the Malay
word--with close cognates in a number of other Austronesian
languages--is <duyung>.  Whence the <g>?  A simple printing error?
If so, it's strange that both the Latin taxonomic name and the general
European name perpetuate a form that doesn't exist in any
Austronesian language.

Jim Rader
Merriam-Webster, Inc.