collecting authentic dugong stories

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Thu Feb 10 03:30:45 UTC 2000

Dear Jim,

Forms of /duyung/ are found in many Austronesian languages outside Taiwan,
generally with regular sound correspondences.  John Wolff, in his
Cebuano-English dictionary of 1972, gives both /duyung/ and /dugung/ for
`dugong, sea cow', but the variant with -/g/- does not correspond
regularly with the -/y/- in other languages.  It even possible that
/duyung/ is the native Cebuano form and /dugung/ a secondary pronunciation
reflecting English influence.  Given the broad comparative picture I can
only assume a mishearing of Malay /duyong/ or a similar Philippine form by
early European recorders who created the -/g/- variant and then perhaps
passed it back.

Bob Blust