Re AN native speaker/scholars

Paz B Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Mon Feb 21 22:42:37 UTC 2000

Dear Colleagues:

Thank you for your attention, which I once more call on to note the minor
correction on line 3 of my earlier message and the addition of the P.S.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Paz B Naylor wrote:

> Dear Colleagues:
>
> Having just seen the names on the AFLA list of "invited speakers" for
> their meeting in May to be held in Amsterdam, I was struck by the
> remarkable absence on the list of the name of any scholar who was also a
> native speaker of an Austronesian language.
>
> THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!  Not just AFLA!
>
> True, there are very, very few of them around.  But isn't the work of
> those few worth hearing?  Are their contributions not worth recognizing?
>
> With very few exceptions among our colleagues, in the society of linguists
> in general, there seems to have been a dismissive attitude toward the
> work of nativespeaker/analysts.
>
> WHY?
>
> --Paz

  P.S.  In this new millenium, let us hope that conscious effort will be
made toward eliminating any vestiges of the imperialism of the previous
millenium, unconscious though it may have been.