AN native speaker scholars

Paz B Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Thu Feb 24 18:34:18 UTC 2000

Dear Dr. Meyerhoff:

Thank you for your informative comments.

I apologize for the negative inferences, UNINTENDED as they were, that
have been drawn from my posting re the dismissive attitude of linguists in
general towards native-speaker/analysts.

Unfortunately, due to a computer glitch, only 3 names of invited speakers
to AFLA printed out when I downloaded the circular I received on e-mail.
(I don't know what other information did not come through.) None of the 3
names appeared to be a native speaker. This TRIGGERED my posting an
observation of an attitude that has been around for several decades.
After receiving correct information on how AFLA has actually
been dealing with the issue, I stand corrected.  I expressed my apologies
as well as my appreciation to AFLA and Dr.Marian Klamer via AN-LANG and to
Dr.Klamer herself.

All this, however does not invalidate the main point of my posting that
(a) such a dismissive attitude has existed and continues to esixt among
linguists in general and (b) let's hope that conscious effort will be made
in this new millenium to eliminate any vestiges of the imperialism of the
previous millenium (as they may be reflected in academic contexts).

Both Professor Myhill and I did allude to the fact that Austronesianists
have been BETTER in this respect than the society of linguists in general
have been.

Right on, AFLA!

Sincerely, Paz

Paz Buenaventura Naylor, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor, Asian Languages and Cultures
Faculty Associate, Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Program Associate, Linguistics
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI  48109, U.S.A.
Tel./Fax:  (734) 995-2371