ano

potetjp POTETJP at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 29 19:06:48 UTC 2000

As far as I know Tag. _anó_ is only an interrogative.
e.g. Anó ang kináin niyá? /what/focus/has eaten/ 3rd p sg non-focus/ "What
has is eaten? / What did he eat?"
    The corresponding "completive conjunction" is  _kung anó_.
e.g. _Hindî ko alám kung anó ang kináin niyá._ (classical) /not/me
non-f/knowing/(kung)/what/ .../ "I don't know what he has eaten. / what he
ate." or _Ewangkó kung anó'ng kináin niyá._ (colloquial)
    If Tag. _anó_ is the cognate of the Brunei Mal. /anu/ mentioned by
Adrian Clynes and the Murik /anuq/ mentioned by Robert Blust, as suggested
by Waruno Mahdi, then we would have an interesting evolution of this item.
Therefore, if focus exists as in Philippine languages, it would be crucial
to see what form the verb has in the relative introduced by /anu(q)/.
Jean-Paul G. Potet