AN Formal Linguistics Assoc. 7th Annual Meeting

Jeff Marck jeff.marck at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 17 16:15:00 UTC 2000

Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association
7th Annual Meeting (AFLA 7), www.let.vu.nl:8100/afla~/
Free University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
11-13 May,  2000

Abstract deadline: 1 February 2000
Notification of acceptance: 1 March 2000

IMPORTANT: BOOK YOUR HOTEL SOON!
Amsterdam hosts the International World Wide Web Conference from Saturday
13 May onwards. We therefore advice you to make a hotel reservation as soon
as possible, PREFERABLY BEFORE THE NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE. (You may
cancel it until 48 hours in advance). Hotel information can be found at the
bottom of this posting, and on our website.

FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS

The program will be announced following the notification of acceptance on
March 1, 2000, and will be posted with the selected abstracts on the
website after March 1, 2000.

Abstracts are invited for 30 minute talks (20 minute presentations  + 10
minute question period) on any aspect of formal linguistics (e.g.,
phonology, phonetics, semantics, morphology, language acquisition, language
contact) of any Austronesian language. Applicants are limited to one
singly-authored and one jointly-authored abstract.
Abstracts relating to this year's main themes (see below) are particularly
encouraged, though abstracts on other topics will also be considered.

MAIN THEMES

(i) ARGUMENT MARKING IN AUSTRONESIAN
Ergativity; Nominalisation; Argument--non argument status theoretical
implications thereof?
(ii) ICONICITY
(see our website for full details)

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION

Abstracts should be one page long, with an additional page for data or
references. Submissions may be made by regular mail or email. A Conference
Proceedings of the unreviewed conference papers will be published soon
after the conference. We also intend to publish a thematic volume on one of
the conference topics; these papers will be reviewed. To submit an abstract
by regular mail, send 3 anonymous copies of the abstract to the address
below. Also include an index card bearing your name, affiliation, mailing
and email address,  the subdiscipline of your abstract (phonology, syntax,
etc.) and status (student or non-student). For submissions by email, send
one copy of your abstract in the body of an email message (please avoid
attachments), along with your name, address, subdiscipline, and status to:
afla at let.vu.nl.

SPECIAL AWARD

An award of US$500 will be granted to an Austronesianist from Irian Jaya.

INVITED SPEAKERS (in alphabetical order):

I Wayan Arka (Universitas Udayana, Bali, Indonesia)
Ellen Broselow (SUNY, Stony Brook)
Adrian Clynes (Universiti Brunei Darussalam)
William Foley (Sydney University)
Harry van der Hulst (University of Leiden)
Diane Massam (University of Toronto)

MORE INFORMATION?

For more information, consult our website www.let.vu.nl:8100/afla~/
or write to afla at let.vu.nl
The following information is some practical information that is also on the
website.

HOTELS

Please book soon!
Information on hotels in Amsterdam can be obtained from www.amsterdam.nl and
www.bookings.nl. Hint: Try to find a hotel close to the Museum Square (Van
Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum and Stedelijk Museum), so that you will be close
to the city center and only a 20-minute tram ride from the Vrije
Universiteit (Tram 5, southbound: direction "Amstelveen").

A few reduced hotel rates
The following three family hotels are conveniently located in the Jan
Luykenstraat, a quiet street build around 1900, a few steps from the Museum
Square. Two of them have offered us a few rooms with reduced rates for May
11, 12 and 13.

Hotel Acro, Jan Luykenstraat 40-46, 1071 CR Amsterdam
Ph 31 + 20 662 05 26
Fax 31 + 20 675 08 11
2 double rooms    Dfl. 175 per room per night
4 single rooms     Dfl. 150 per room per night
Mention "VU conference" when you confirm the reservation as a booking on
your personal account
NB These rooms are only reserved for bookings connected to our "VU
conference" until January 14, 1999!

Hotel Fita, Jan Luykenstraat 37, 1071 CL Amsterdam
Ph 31+20 679 09 76
Fax 31+20 664 39 69
2 double rooms, single use    Dfl. 215 per room per night
Mention "VU conference" when you confirm the reservation as a booking on
your personal account

Hotel Aalders, Jan Luykenstraat 13-15, 1071 CJ Amsterdam
Ph 31 + 20 673 40 27
Fax 31 + 20 673 46 98

The currency rate is approx. 2 Dutch guilders for 1 US dollar

Youth hostels
The following three youth hostels offer cheap accomodation, but be sure to
book in time!
Vondelpark, Zandpad 5, 1054 GA Amsterdam (nicely located in the Vondelpark!)
Ph 31 + 20 683 1744
Fax 31 + 20 616 6591

NJHC, Prof. Tulpstraat 2, 1018 HA Amsterdam
Ph 31 + 20 551 31 33
Fax 31 + 20 623 49 86

Stadsdoelen, Kloveniersburgwal 97, 1011 KB Amsterdam
Ph 31 + 20 624 6832

Crash space
We may be able to arrange limited crash space for students. Contact us at
afla at let.vu.nl for further details. Please note that, because many of  the
faculty and students do not actually live in Amsterdam, the crash space
that we can offer will most probably be in another town and that you may
have to commute to the conference, which could also be rather costly.

CONFERENCE VENUE

The conference will be held in the main building ("Hoofdgebouw") of the
Vrije Universiteit, De Boelelaan 1105, Amsterdam. The exact room numbers
will be posted on the website as soon as they become available.

The campus of the Vrije Universiteit is located in the southern suburbs of
Amsterdam, close to the A10 motorway around Amsterdam and 5 minutes walk
from Amsterdam Zuid/WTC Station. Amsterdam Zuid/WTC connects directly with
The Hague / Leiden / Schiphol/Utrecht, but only indirectly with Amsterdam
Central Station. Tram 5 is the most convenient way to travel between the
University and down town Amsterdam or Amsterdam Central Station.

TRAVEL INFORMATION

>>From Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, there are frequent and convenient train
connections (15 minutes) with Amsterdam Central Station. A one-way ticket
costs a few guilders and is obtainable from Schiphol train station, which
is right next door to Arrivals.  When you buy your ticket they can also
tell you where to find your train. The train stops in the heart of the
city. From there you may want to take a taxi to your hotel, or catch a tram
or bus. A taxi from Schiphol to down town Amsterdam will cost approx. 50
guilders, and takes about 30 minutes.

Maps of Amsterdam can be obtained from the Tourist Information at the
Central Station, or bought at bookstores or tobacconists. The Yellow Pages
in your hotel room also contains a map.

MONEY

The currency rate is approx. 2 Dfl for 1 US $.
Cash dispensers can be found everywhere, including Schiphol airport.
There is also a cash dispenser at a bank next door to the Vrije Universiteit.

CONFERENCE FEE

Faculty 	Dfl. 150/US $ 75
Students 	Dfl. 50/US $25
This fee includes:
Coffee and tea
Three cold conference lunches on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
A three-course conference diner ('rijsttafel') on Thursday (drinks excluded)

CONFERENCE DINNER

All registered participants are cordially invited to the conference dinner
on Thursday 11 May, 7.30 p.m. A three-course "rijsttafel" dinner will be
served at an Indonesian restaurant down town:

Restaurant Kantjil & De Tijger,
Spuistraat 291-293, Amsterdam
Ph 020 - 620 0994

>>From the VU, tram 5 (northbound, direction Central Station) will take you
there in 30 minutes. Get off at Spui.

ORGANISING COMMITTEE
Geert Booij, Aone van Engelenhoven, Rob Goedemans, Marian Klamer, Bert
Remijsen, Hein Steinhauer, Ruben Stoel,  Wim Stokhof, Lourens de Vries

SPONSORS

The Faculty of Arts of the Free University Amsterdam
The Holland Institute of Linguistics (HIL)
The Centre of Non-Western Studies (CNWS)
The project Irian Jaya Studies (ISIR) at Leiden University
The International Institute of Asian Studies (IIAS) in Leiden
The Netherlands Foundation for Scientific Research (NWO)
The Royal Dutch Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW)
>>From Marian Klamer:

Organising Committee
Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association
7th Annual Meeting (AFLA7)
c/o Marian Klamer
General Linguistics
Faculty of Arts