_peke_ in Asian-Pacific pidgins

Phil Quick Phil.Quick at anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 25 06:46:39 UTC 2000

Danny,

'piggy' is a common 'colloquial' pronunciation of standard Indonesian in
Central Sulawesi (as in Palu), and probably occurs more widely.  I have
found the spelling of 'piggie' in a book originally published in 1804 with
a list of about 100 Malay words:  'The narrative of Captain David Woodard
and Four Seamen', reprinted in 1969, London: Dawsons of Pall Mall'.  This
captain was captured in the Donggala area of what is now Central Sulawesi
in 1795 and lived there for several years before he escaped to Makasar.
The point is that this is a very old pronunciation that is still spoken
that way today.

See page 126:  Piggie de jaro	'to ride'  My translation:  'pergi di
ajara(n)' [English:  go on the horse), where 'ajaran' is horse in Pendau
(and final nasal is dropped off in Kaili languages).
See page 127:  Ouchou piggie mundee 'I want to go to bathe.' (My
transliteration:  'Aku pergi mandi')

Phil Quick