Musical instrument names?

Don Niles ipngs at global.net.pg
Tue Jul 25 07:12:42 UTC 2000

I am Don Niles of the Music Department, Institute of Papua New Guinea
Studies where I have been working for over 20 years. I have just recently
joined this list and would like to request your assistance.

For many years, I've been collecting musical instrument names, both for the
purpose of mapping distributions, but also because I'm interested in how
these names may reflect borrowings or how cognates group. However, there
are many gaps in my data and, because the data have been collected from
many different sources, there are also probably numerous errors.

I'd very much like to draw upon your knowledge (and kindness) to update
what information we have. Hence I'm interested in words for musical
instruments in any of the languages for which you have information. Because
of their distribution in PNG, I'm particularly interested in words for drum
(Tok Pisin, kundu) and slit-drum (garamut), but whatever you have would be
very valuable to our work. While mostly concerned with PNG, I'm also
interested in comparative material from other Pacific regions.

If you are interested, I could also send what information I have on
languages you are familiar with, for you comments.

Of course, this list doesn't have to be cluttered with such information.
Please send it to me directly.

Thank you for your assistance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Don Niles
Head
Institute of PNG Studies
P.O. Box 1432