anu REL examples

aclynes at ubd.edu.bn aclynes at ubd.edu.bn
Tue Mar 7 07:41:39 UTC 2000

My belated thanks to all those who have sent information about 'anu' as a
relative clause marker.  Perhaps 'there's quite a bit of it about'.
I mistakenly thought the request for examples from Brunei Malay was sent to
me directly, so didn't post any to the  list.  Here are some:

1.	sudah jua abis 	ba-karaja-kan 		anu 	kita 	suruh atu
	already too finish  VBL-work-APP	anu	  2POL   order DEM
	'What you ordered has been done'

2.	manyaut 	lah 	anu mambawa kadidia.	"kadikau,"
	maN-saut	PART	anu  bring	3	2SG
	And the one who brought him replied, "You", he said.

3. 	jadi 	liat  ulih bini-nya 	kayu anu	ber-harga 			bah
	so    	see  by    wife-3   	wood  anu 	ber-price (StandardMalay) 	PART
	So it was seen by his wife, the wood which was valuable

Adrian Clynes
Department of English Language & Applied Linguistics
Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Brunei Darussalam
Please address mail for me to:  PO Box 594, MPC, BSB 3577, Brunei
phone: 673-2-249923, wait 3 rings then dial 406;
fax: 673-2-249528