champon

William H. Baxter wbaxter at umich.edu
Fri Mar 31 15:57:38 UTC 2000

For what it is worth, I don't know a good Chinese etymology that would account
for champon.  A colleague's Japanese dictionary gave a way of writing the
expression in kanji, the Chinese characters being "chan1he2" (which indeed
means 'mix'), but I don't see any way that "pon" could represent Chinese "he2"
(< early Middle Chinese hwa), which is normally read "wa" in Japanese.  So I
suspect that only folk etymology can connect the expression to Chinese.

--
William H Baxter
wbaxter at umich.edu
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~wbaxter
Associate Professor of Chinese and Linguistics
Asian Languages and Cultures, University of Michigan
3070 Frieze Building, Ann Arbor MI 48109-2108