Bruce Biggs

Isidore Dyen dyen at hawaii.edu
Mon Nov 20 01:39:56 UTC 2000

I regret that I could not have been present at the farewelling. I regard
Bruce as not only the foremost Maorist, but also among those pioneers
who have made among the most important contributions to the advancement
of Austronesian studies in the past fifty years. I remember with great
pleasure my first meeting with Bruce at Yale when he did me the honor of
looking me up that ended up with his inviting me to spend some time at
Auckland. I not only accepted, but later followed that visit with a number
of others, all enjoyable, enabling me to feel a close relationship with
Joy as well. I feel that I have lost a most respected friend.
Please do me the kindness of transmitting this message to Joy along with
my condolences. I do not have her address. Cordially, Isidore Dyen.