University of Hawaii Press question

Carl Rubino rubino at humanitas.ucsb.edu
Thu Nov 23 14:19:11 UTC 2000

Dear Joel,
Thank you for your informative reply on crocs and sharks.
	Seeing that you work for UH Press, I have a question for you
regarding University of Hawaii Press. They have been selling my Ilocano
Dictionary and Grammar for over a year now and still have not produced it.
I turned the manuscript in to them in 1997 and after proofing in 1998 and
1999, it was supposed to be released soon after.
	Finally, I saw they updated their info. to amazon.com to reflect
an April 2000 release date (to give them a few more months to get things
prepared). The last word I heard from them is that they don't know why the
advance copies are still not available. (I noticed amazon.com keeps
changing the release date too-- now it's at November).
	I am getting lots of e-mail from people who have ordered it from
Borders, Amazon.com etc. and I don't know what to tell them. (I don't
think publishers should be selling books until they are confident that
they will produce them).
	Can you ask around the Press for me what has happened to the book?
My editors (as of yesterday) still don't know why it's not out yet either.
Somebody there has to have the answer. If another year passes and people
in the press are still clueless as to what happened to the book, I really
should consider another publisher.
	I hope you can help me solve this mystery or offer me some advice
if the book has been printed erroneously (I notice the UH Press
Constantino dictionary failed to include words starting with RO/RU-- I
hope this didn't happen to my book).  Thanks so much for your time and
hope you had a great Thanksgiving,
	Carl