Tag. ay

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Mon Nov 27 00:33:28 UTC 2000

AY has been viewed first as a copula like the verb "to be" (that was what we
were taught in school - that Tagalog basic sentence structure was like
English and Spanish:  Subject + AY + Predicate!). Then it has come to be
known as an "inversion marker" and Jean-Paul's "anteposer" seems to mean the
same thing.  But while AY appears to function as an inversion marker, AY is
more of a RELATION-MARKER (conceivably a predicative relation marker).
After all, AY is used when "inversion" does not take place:  e.g., MABUTI PA
AY UMALIS TAYO NANG MAAGA; SABI NGA AY "...(quotation)...." (and other
quotatives).  I am sure there are other constructions in which AY is used
but no "inversion" occurs. (I cannot dig them up at this moment because I am
about to leave for a long trip to Athens, Istanbul,  Bucharest, and Rome
tomorrow. Perhaps An-LANGers out there can provide other examples.)

All the best, Paz