Tag. ay

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Tue Nov 28 05:00:34 UTC 2000

Indeed as Jean-Paul points out, AY functions as a discourse marker in
Tagalog.  I remember Cavite Tagalog speakers saying something like (in
response to previous discourse): "Ay bakit naman nagkaganoon! or "Ay kung
gay'on, huwag na lang!" I've even come to wonder if the ubiquitous "E.." is
a phonetic development from AY - what with the AI > E development being such
a common one in so many languages.  (Hardly any analysis of the discourse
markers "E", "A", "O" has been done to my knowledge.)

Kumusta na lamang, Paz