Historical query

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Mon Oct 16 21:21:25 UTC 2000

Dear Fay,

Actually, most of the work you are asking people to do was done a long
time ago.  In 1981 at the 3-ICAL in Den Pasar, Bali, I presented a paper
titled `Variation in retention rate among Austronesian languages', based
on a sample of 55 languages.  For reasons that I am not going to enter
into here, the retention percentages were calculated from PMP (not PAN) to
the modern languages.  These were then converted to retention rates by
making variable assumptions about separation time.  Over time my data base
was expanded to over 230 languages.  This study became, in effect, too big
to publish (at least with the data included, which is the only way I would
want it).  A short version is scheduled to appear in a volume edited by
the archaeologist Colin Renfrew, but I have a lot of unpublished material
and analysis for anyone who is interested.

Bob Blust