Paths in a Network

Kenneth Allen Hyde kenny at UDel.Edu
Sat Sep 9 14:58:51 UTC 2000

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Waruno Mahdi wrote:

> > Has anyone written anything on the number of paths (not necessarily
> > disjoint) that different individuals can trace to another given individual
> > in a network?

Perhaps you are referring to the Network theory of social groups?  If so,
I recommend reading the original work by the Milroys.  Since they are
interested in actual and not potential paths in the network, they do not
give a formula for calculating the number of paths (you have to get this
number by brute force counting).  However, they do have quite a bit of
information on how to calculate network strength based on the number and
multiplexity of paths.

Kenneth Allen Hyde     |  No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife
Univ. of Delaware      |  between the shoulder blades will seriously
Dept. of Linguistics   |  cramp his style  -- Old Jhereg proverb
kenny at Udel.Edu         |  A mind is a terrible toy to waste! -- Me

//www.ling.udel.edu/hyde/prof/