poetry 1

potet POTETJP at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 4 20:30:49 UTC 2001

I am intrigued by Tagalog _tulakís_ "bad poetry".

The stem, _*túla?_, is never used alone. The derived adjectival form
obtained by stress shift is used as a noun: _tulá?_ "poetry". A poet is a
_manunúla?_ < mang- + D- + túla?_  [_mang-_ harmonizes with _t-_, then
absorbs it].

There is no suffix _-kis_ in Tagalog. Nor is there a suffix _-is_ . Yet, let
me posit its existence here for the sake of my demonstration, and account
for _tulakís_ "bad poetry". Indeed if there is such a thing as a rare suffix
_-is_ in Tagalog, the derivative _tulá?_ must necessarily have become
*tulák_ before the affixation of _-is_, otherwise we would have _*tulaís_.

Now, as everybody knows, the final glottal stop in Malay is replaced by /k/
before a suffix; more exactly /k/ is realized as the glottal stop when there
is no suffix, e.g. Mal. _minya?_ spelled _minyak_ "oil" > _meminyaki_ "to
oil, to anoint".
If you follow my drive, Tag. _tulakís_ seems to be derived after the Malay
model of -k stems:
tulá? + -is > *tulák + is > tulakís
The problem is that Tag. _tulakís_ "bad poetry" is not entered in old
dictionaries. In my collection, it appears for the first time in Vicassan's
/ Vito C. SANTOS's as _tulakis [tulákis]_ (1978, 1983). The term is also
entered in RUBINO's (1998) as _tulakís_. Santos says it is a slang term.
Rubino does not.

So we have a Tagalog term the formation of which is apparently Malay,
although it was not recorded in the past.
Could there be an underground current of Malay influence still at work in
slang and colloquial language while users would be unaware of its origin?
[For Malay influence in pre-Spanish Philippines see J. U. WOLFF, "Malay
borowings in Tagalog", pp. 345-367 in COWAN, C. D. ed. (1976). _Southeast
Asian history and historiography_. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.]

This hypothetical situation reminds me of the current slang term that can
heard now and then among the hoodlums of  Paris suburbs: _une baston_ "a
brawl". Although feminine and despite the semantic change, the term
obviously comes from _bâton_ "stick [masculine]" in its medieval form
_baston_, the circumflex accent reflecting the lost S. How was _baston_
ressurrected is a mystery to me. The fact remains that the terms is
currently used by rough, illiterate youths.

In brief, do you have the impression we have a comparable situation in the
formation of Tag.  _tulakís_ "bad poetry"?