Filipinas and Filipino

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Mon Apr 23 17:20:23 UTC 2001

Yes, the language is now officially spelled also with F -- although most Filipinos still believe that the politically correct spelling remains Pilipinas and Pilipino.  I suppose 11-12 years is not time enough for the change to sink in throughout the population -- especially among emigrés elsewhere.  I happen to have read up on these matters in connection with my work on the book I am currently writing about Tagalog (structure against a historical-comparative backdrop) as part of the London (University) Oriental and African Language Library series, published by John Benjamins.
Regards, Paz

Paz Buenaventura Naylor, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor, Asian Languages and Cultures
Faculty Associate, Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Program Associate, Linguistics
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Home Address:  2032 Winsted Blvd., Ann Arbor MI  48103-6040
              Tel/Fax:   (734) 995-2371