Filipinas and Filipino

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Wed Apr 25 04:52:27 UTC 2001

Without going into the details that Jean-Paul asserts, I would like to say
that I consider Filipino the alter ego of Tagalog.  In my book, I argue that
the concept of Filipino is precisely what Tagalog has evolved into!

Furthermore, I consider "Filipino" a political concept  and Tagalog a
linguistic concept but the substance is virtually, if not altogether the
same.

Nonetheless, "Filipino" was made official in 1989.  The constitution had
nothing to do with this fact.  However, the fact was incorporated into the
new constitution.

It's nice to know that there is enough interest in these matters among
An-Langers.

Regards, Paz

Paz Buenaventura Naylor, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor, Asian Languages and Cultures
Faculty Associate, Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Program Associate, Linguistics
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI  48109
Home Address: 2032 Winsted Blvd., Ann Arbor MI 48103-6040
             Tel/Fax:  (734) 995-2371