virus

potet POTETJP at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 26 16:08:45 UTC 2001

"Sorry - you're not understanding how these things work. The virus
_automatically_ sends itself to everyone in the address book of the email
program. They reply to the message and attach the virus. That's why it's
going to you with your Tagalog messages. Some of the viruses just do it once
and then delete everything on the hard drive, others send it several times.
If G Halliday is not replying it's possible that either he's away and left
his email program open, or he can't open the program and stop the thing
manually because the virus has corrupted it. G Halliday probably isn't
sending anything on purpose. It isn't a personal grudge against you and it
won't harm your computer as long as you don't open them. Incidentally, I
have no idea who G Halliday is but I do feel it's a little unfair for you to
be lambasting him on the list when he probably isn't doing anything on
purpose." Claire BOWERN

Thank you for you message, Claire, you are right because I have just
received two other messages with the same infected attachments. One quotes
my virus message (Re: virus), the other my Tagalog-14 message (Re: Re:
Tagalog-14). Now this time they are supposedly sent by Dr. Paz B. NAYLOR. I
know her personally, and, of course, she did not do that.

So, some criminal has entered the AN-LANG list and is now playing with us by
usurping our names.

I hope his/her victims are few. Hopefully, I might even be the only one.
These attacks are very unpleasant, but not very dangerous for me because

1)  my anti-virus program is very efficacious and updated once a week

2) I do my research on my old computer, which is not on the net, hence
perfectly safe.

I don't know G. HALLIDAY either, Claire, but as you suggest, I owe him an
apoplogy, hoping he will read this message before he reads my previous virus
messages.

I also think it urgent for someone who knows G. HALLIDAY to contact him ASAP
and tell him what is going on.

Best

Jean-Paul G. POTET. B. P. 46. 92114 CLICHY CEDEX. FRANCE.