Tagalog-15

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Sun Apr 29 05:40:29 UTC 2001

I agree with most of the things you said here, Jean-Paul.
Indeed the concept of Filipino is precisely what Tagalog has evolved into.

As far as the legislation of the adoption of words from other Philippine
languages, how can any linguist worth his salt believe that this can happen
by fiat?!
Ernesto Constantino is a fine linguist and he knew that this can only happen
as a result of natural linguistic processes such as contact phenomena,
bilingualism, cognate and genetic relationships, etc. There seems to be a
cultural reflex at play in all this, however.  As a compatriot of mine had
wryly remarked, "In the Philippines, things have to be legislated if they
are to happen at all."

Re syntax:  Constantino did not make a blanket statement of "sameness".  His
article circa 1968 in LINGUA demonstrated what the basic sentence structure
of 26 Philippine languages was like and found them to be essentially the
same. He did not make the claim for all Philippine languages.  Later on, he
asserted that this being the case, we can then say that Filipino is based
not just on one language [Tagalog] but on Philippine languages.

Regardless of their provenance, and however we wish to refer to it, Filipino
is in actual fact the alter ego of Tagalog.
As I see it, Filipino is a political concept; Tagalog is a linguistic
concept.

Paz

Paz Buenaventura Naylor, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor, Asian Languages and Cultures
Faculty Associate, Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Program Associate, Linguistics
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Home Address: 2032 Winsted, Ann Arbor MI 48103
           Tel/Fax:  (734) 995-2371