F/Pilipino

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Sun Apr 29 06:29:47 UTC 2001

Dear Colleagues:

Dan's observations do mirror for the most part what went on and what is
going on but we need to look at the picture and assess what is happening in
light of several factors: dialect differences, different genres of text and
discourse,  the different speech styles and registers in the repertoire of
Tagalog/Filipino speakers and the necessary choices to meet the demands of
the context of communication.

Viewed in this light, there is nothing to lament.  "Pure Tagalog" is spoken
and written in the appropriate genres of text and discourse (ceremonial
speeches and literary pieces) just as Taglish and Tagalog-English
code-switching is rampant in familiar conversation, and "intellectualized"
Filipino is used in classroom lectures, and so on.  Davao Tagalog, as a
dialect of Tagalog,  is no less Tagalog for having more Visayan words in it
just as Bulacan Tagalog is no more Tagalog for having fewer loanwords in it.

Thanks for listening.  Regards, Paz

Paz Buenaventura Naylor, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor, Asian Languages and Cultures
Faculty Associate, Center for Southeast Asian Studies
Program Associate, Linguistics
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Home Address: 2032 Winsted, Ann Arbor MI 48103
           Tel/Fax: (734) 995-2371