January 2002 Austronesian Conferences Update

John Bowden john.bowden at anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 13 08:30:46 UTC 2001

Ninth International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics
8 - 11 January 2002

The 5th International Conference of Oceanic Languages
14 - 16 January 2002

The Australian National University
Canberra
Australia

Notice to participants:

Time is now counting down fast to 'Austronesia Fest 2002'.

Timetable:
There have been changes made to the program so please check the website again for the most recent version.  There will probably be more changes before the conferences begin, but we will endeavour to keep these to a minimum.

Arriving in Canberra:
The most convenient thing to do when you arrive in Canberra is to just take a taxi from wherever your drop off point is. The university is not very well served by other forms of public transport, so taxis are by far the simplest option. A taxi from the airport will cost from $15 - $20 (AUS), and a taxi from the railway station will be a little less.  Taxis from the Jolimont Tourist Centre (long distance bus depot) will only cost a few dollars; if you don't have too much lugggage the university is just a short walk away.  (The university is onlTaxi drivers generally know where university colleges, etc. are located.

Accommodation:
Anyone who has booked accommodation should now know where you are staying. If you have booked accommodation in one of the university colleges and you still haven't been notified which college you are staying in you should email Pascale Jacq on pascale.jacq at anu.edu.au or Anconf at anu.edu.au to find out where you will be.

Welcome drinks / registration:
We will be holding welcome drinks and registration sessions on the evenings of Monday 7 January (for 9ical) and on Sunday 13 January (for COOL-5).  Welcome drinks will NOT be held at Burgmann college.  The venue for the welcomes is the tea room in the Coombs building, which houses the Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies.  Maps showing how to get from the residential colleges to Coombs will be available at the colleges.  You can also access a map of the campus at http://www.anu.edu.au/facilities/anumap/  Coombs is a pleasant 15 minutes walk from the colleges. Registration and drinks will be from 5.30pm to 7.00pm.  The centre of Canberra 'Civic' is another 15 minutes walk from the Coombs building and is well served with a variety of restaurants, so participants will be able to go on into the centre after the welcome sessions for dinner.

Program:
Revised versions of the programs are now available to download from the web at the following addresses:

9ICAL: http://rspas.anu.edu.au/linguistics/ANConfs/9ICAL_program.pdf
COOL-5: http://rspas.anu.edu.au/linguistics/ANConfs/COOL5_program.pdf

Technical requirements:
Overhead projectors, whiteboards and facilities for powerpoint presentations will all be available in each of the conference rooms. You should come to Canberra with your own handouts already prepared. Anyone with technical requirements that have not been listed above should get in touch with the organisers now to make sure we can supply what you need.

Power point users:
Please bring your powerpoint presentations on an IBM formatted floppy disk or on a CD. There will NOT be time between papers to allow for people to set up their own computers.  You should see one of the organisers no later than during the break before your presentation about transferring your files to the hard disk of the computer that will be made available for your use.

Handouts:
Please bring enough copies of your own handouts to distribute to your audience with you. We are expecting about 110-120 participants for 9ical and about 70 participants at COOL, so you should make your own estimate of how many copies you will need depending on how many concurrent sessions are running when you give your paper.

Conference dinner:
We have planned a conference dinner for the Thursday night of 9ICAL.  Since most of the people who will be attending COOL will also be at 9ICAL, we are not planning a separate dinner for COOL. The conference dinner will be held at Vivaldi's restaurant on the ANU campus. Dinner will be a set Turkish menu (muslims and vegetarians catered for, but please inform Pascale Jacq on the email address below if you have any special requirements). The cost will be $30.00 per head. Bookings for the dinner can be made when you register upon arrival at the conference.

Tours, tourism, etc.:
There are a number of attractions within easy walking distance of the conference site. The new National Museum of Australia is a 15 minute walk from Burgmann college, as are the Australian National Botanical Gardens.  Those participants attending both conferences will have a free weekend between 9ICAL and COOL-5. For those people who are staying in Canberra for the weekend we will be organising a trip to the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve which features extensive native Australian wildlife.  The reserve is half an hour's drive from the conference venue.  Information on local tourist attractions will be available in your conference bags, but if you wish to book any tours apart from the Tidbinbilla trip this will be your own responsibility.  Bookings for the Tidbinbilla trip will be taken during registration.

A reminder to those who haven't registered yet:
If you intend to come to either or both of the conferences and you haven't registered yet, could you please let us know that you are coming so that we know what numbers we have to cater for. You are quite welcome to pay on arrival, but please let us know you are coming beforehand.

To contact the organisers:
Email: Anconf at anu.edu.au

Phone numbers of the Residential Colleges:
Burgmann College: (02) 6267 5222 - within Australia; +61 2 6267 5222 - outside Australia
Ursula College: (02) 6279 4300 - within Australia; +61 2 6279 4300 - outside Australia

Selamat Idul Fitri, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year

See you in Canberra...