FW: AN nominal juxtaposition

James S Ellis jellis at hawaii.edu
Sat Feb 17 11:41:27 UTC 2001

A linguistics student in Sweden sent me this request, any takers?

Sender: catharina.gustafsson at usa.net

>My name is Catharina Gustafsson and I am studying
linguistics in Stockholm, Sweden. Now I am about to
write an essay for ten weeks and I would be very
thankful if you could help me a little bit. My subject
 is to study about how languages in the Austronesian
family are using nominal juxtaposition (when nouns are
next to each other without prepositions between).

Examples of when this phenomenon exists in other languages:
*Possessive. Old Frensh. "La bouche sa mere"= ART. mouth
  his mother(=His mothers mouth)
*Nouns with nominal modifiers. "Gold ring", "bread knife"
*Pseudopartitive constuctions. Swedish. "En kopp kaffe"
  = a cup coffee(=a cup of coffee)
*Clauses with nominal prediction. Russian. "Petja durak"
  = Petja dork(=Petja is a dork)
*Apposition. Swedish. "Min bror Peter"= my brother Peter
*Co-ordination. Ex "Father mother" means in many languages
  "father and mother".

I would be very thankful if you would translate the
following sentences into those languages in the family
you know. If you find that nominal juxtaposition
exists in other ways in the language(s), I would be
thankful if you can give examples of this too. Please
write the english translation literally under each
word.

"His mothers mouth" =
"The boys book" =

"banana leaf" =