An Austronesian seminar in Bali

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 4 01:52:39 UTC 2001

Just a general question to the organizers,

Several times I have personally received invitations of this sort from
groups in Indonesia, and invariably the notification time for foreign
scholars is less than 30 days to prepare a paper and handouts, make travel
arrangements, etc.  In some cases the notification time has been less than
three weeks!  Rightly or wrongly this sends a message that the organizers
are not sincere in inviting foreign participants --- the invitation is
made only as a pro forma gesture, knowing that the conditions imposed will
make it virtually impossible for outsiders to attend.  If I am wrong about
this then perhaps you can suggest another explanation as to why this
pattern is so persistent.

Sincerely,

Bob Blust