Serial verbs in Oceanic

Paul Richard Kroeger pkroeger at Stanford.EDU
Tue Jan 30 23:38:23 UTC 2001

Joel,

Many thanks for the reference to your 1999 article, it sounds like that
will be a great help.  Avery Andrews and one or two other people have told
me that the famous Akan example you mentioned ('I-pour corn I-flow into
water') may well be the result of a misanalysis of the morphological
structure of the second verb.  But there are at least some languages where
such things happen, notably Tariana (Brazil), as Claire pointed out.  They
are only "normal" in the sense that the two verbs share a grammatical
subject, or at least the morphological features.

-- Paul