The Tagalog of Nueva Ecija

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Wed Jul 18 05:34:15 UTC 2001

My father's family were from Cavite and I remember hearing "asa" and "alan"
instead of nasa and ngalan/pangalan.  It may have also been used in old
Manila Tagalog - but I can't be sure if my memory of its use in Manila may
be due to the Cavite dialect - or the Nueva Ecija dialect where the Velardes
(my mother's family) were originally from (Santa Rosa, to be exact).  From
what I remember reading abouit it, these may actually be older forms.
Lawrie, would you enlighten us?

On the other hand, "Mapasaami'y kaharian Mo"  and "Sundi'y loob Mo..." -
this is not a matter of substituting AY for ANG.  It is a matter of a
different construction; i.e., "Kaharian mo mapasaamin > mapasaami(n) (a)y
kaharian mo.  This type of construction is often used in literary text. This
is not the more commonly used construction like "Mapasaamin ang kaharian mo
> Ang kaharian mo'y mapasaamin." Predication by parataxis is common enough
in Tagalog and other Philippine languages and the use of ANG is not a
prerequisite for sentence formation.

For sure, this highlights the urgent need for dialect study.  Hope there
will be some out there who'll take up the challenge.     Paz

You are right, this is not the same as the 'y of Cebuano.  I don't know
Pangasinan but what we are looking at is not a matter of external influences
but of different options within Tagalog itself.