etymology of BELIAN

Paul Kroeger pkroeger at stanford.edu
Sat Jul 21 18:28:20 UTC 2001

The Dusunic languages of Sabah (northeast Borneo) have "boboliyan"
(or cognate forms) for a spirit medium or shaman, mostly female, who
perform rituals for healing, fertility, etc.  I don't know the
etymology, but I wonder if Jack Prentice ever wrote about that??
(Note: the /o/ in Dusunic is the reflex of PAN schwa.)

-- Paul Kroeger