The Tagalog of Nueva Ecija

Cena, Resty rcena at epcor.ca
Mon Jul 23 19:53:16 UTC 2001

I grew up in Nueva Ecija, but I don't quite remember the Lord's Prayer
recited this way. But then I seldom went to church and when I did I didn't
do much praying. Fortunately I learned Tagalog at home and on the streets
(not at school and church, where indigenous communal properties sometimes
get presented in inauthentic ways), so my ANGs are intact and in the right
places. So I'd view the ANG-less sentences:

Sundi'y loob Mo ("Follow your wish")
Mapasaami'y kaharian Mo ("Your kingdom may come to us")

as artifacts of a translation done hundreds of years ago. This is not to say
that these sentences do not deserve scrutiny -- in the light of the tenuous
position of the notion of subject in Tagalog syntax. If Tagalogs spoke with
ANG to mark subjects/topics at the time of translation (e.g., Sundin ANG
loob Mo, Mapasaamin ANG kaharian Mo), as I have no doubt was the case,
stylization by replacing ANG with AY is a perversely radical idea. On the
other hand, if these sentences reflected the syntax then, then we have here
a construction unmarked for subject/topic that now has gained subject/topic
marking.

Paz's statement

	>>Predication by parataxis is common enough
	>>in Tagalog and other Philippine languages and the use of ANG is
not a
	>>prerequisite for sentence formation.

is correct, but at the same time misses the relevance of these sentences.
True, there are a number of ang-less constructions in Tagalog (e.g., Pasko
na "It's Christmas time", Ayaw ni Ben ng pansit "Ben does not like noodle"),
but everyone of them (that I know of) departs from the structure of a simple
clause with a focus-inflected verb from.

Except for these sentences in the Lord's Prayer.

RestyCena