Tagalog nang

Cena, Resty rcena at epcor.ca
Tue Jul 24 17:36:40 UTC 2001

First, a bit of a review, for my own sake. There's an anomaly in the
following sentence pair:

(1) Tanim mo, ani mo "Your plant, your harvest"
(2) Pangako mo, tuparin mo "Your promise, fulfill it"

The anomaly is that while [ani] "harvest" is in its base form, [tuparin],
"fulfill" cannot similarly appear in its base form [tupad]. I suggested that
these constructions are different. Thus, (1) has the structure (3), and (2)
the structure (4). Therefore, we don't expect the verb [tuparin] to appear
naked here.

(3)  possessive nominal, possessive nominal
(4)  possessive nominal, verbal clause

J-P G. Potet remakred that this is an ingenious and practical analysis, but
wondered whether it is linguistically sound.

First, [tuparin] is a bad choice as an example here, since, [tupad] is not
in the same frequency range as [tanim], [ani], [pangako]. I can't find a use
for [tupad] as nominal. Let's replace [tuparin] with [problemahin].

(5) Pangako mo, problemahin mo "Your promise, (so) make it your problem"

There is no problem with [problemahin] reducing to its root, thus:

(6) Pangako mo, problema mo "Your promise, your problem"

This could suggest that the inability of [tuparin -> tupad] in the context
above may in the first place be a lexical idio rather than a syntactic
constraint.

J-P G. Potet offered two considerations that led him to suggest that the two
cited sentences belong to either (7) or (8), although he is unsure as yet as
to which one, but is leaning towards (8).

(7) possessive nominal, possessive nominal
(8) verbal phrase, verbal phrase

This of course relates to Paz Naylor's classic problem (Is "kinain ko" a
verbal or a nominal construction?), which regretabbly I never paid much
attention to when I was learning linguistics (having analyzed it as a verbal
construction), but now appears to me to be a fundamental issue. I don't
quite appreciate -- yet -- the nuances of J-P G Potet's points, so I will
not respond to them in this post.

Let's look at some asymmetries involving the two constructions (3-4). Now,
asymmetries are hard to come by. Careers can be built on a rich repository
of asymmetries. Sadly, my bin is near empty, but I did manage a few scraps.
The idea here is that if the second part of (1) is nominal, then it will
behave like a noun phrase, and if the second part of (2=9) is verbal, then
it will behave like a verbal phrase.

(1) Tanim mo, ani mo "Your plant, your harvest"
(9) Tanim mo, anihin mo "Your plant, (so) you harvest it"

The conjunction test may apply here. In the examples below, the noun [ani]
conjoins well with another noun, but not with a verb. Similarly, the verb
[anihin] conjoins well with a verb but not with a noun.

(10) Tanim mo, ani at pagkain mo "Your plant, your harvest and food"
(11) Tanim mo, ani at *itinda mo "Your plant, your harvest and you sell it"

(12) Tanim mo, anihin at *pagkain mo "Your plant, you harvest it and your
food"
(13) Tanim mo, anihin at itinda mo "Your plant, you harvest and sell it"

I apologize for the length of this posting.

RestyCena