Austronesian/Papuan proverb question

John Bowden john.bowden at anu.edu.au
Wed May 9 13:27:38 UTC 2001

A brief comment on Waruno's last message.

> 2) This is actually not a proverb but a (pseudo-)Ambonese Malay "pantun"
>    (kind of Limerick). It is not really Ambonese Malay, but Indonesian
> Malay "Ambonoiserie" from the time when Ambonese folksongs were
particularly
> popular throughout the country. Ambon folk music even now retains roughly
> the kind of access to the Indonesian soul, as "country" to the American.
> The lyrics probably originate from an Indonesian Malay speaking Ambonese
> or Indon-Eurasian milieu.
>
>   Kalau ada sumur di ladang, boleh beta tumpang mandi,
>   Kalau ada umur panjang, boleh kita berjumpa lagi.
>
> Lit.: If be well in field, may I drop-by bathe
>       If be age long, may we meet again.
>
> (If you have a well in your fields, could I drop by to take a bath,
>  If we will be given a long life, may we meet together once again)

I believe the last part of this one at least is calqued into many languages
around Maluku.  When I was doing fieldwork in North Maluku amongst Taba
(East Makian) speakers, each time I left the field, people would say its
Taba equivalent to me as we said our goodbyes... not just once or twice, but
just about everyone I knew in the village:

T-a-umur         t-a-mlongan,          t-maka         tala nak
1pl.incl-ACT-age 1pl.incl-ACT-be.long, 1pl.incl-RECIP meet again
'If we both grow old may we meet again.'

(Where 'ACT' indicates that an actor oriented intransitive verb has been
formed from a root of another class)