singkatan

potet POTETJP at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 11 16:53:04 UTC 2001

" Jean-Paul,
> Just wanted to point out that the Philippine Tagalog/ Ilocano/
> Kapampangan..) stem ..kanela.. is really just a Spanish borrowing (canela)
> 'cinnamon' (see my Tagalog dictionary), so if your etymology is correct,
the
> name can't be as old as you imagine - as the Tagalogs occupied the Manila
> area before the arrival of the Spaniards." Carl RUBINO

Oops! You must be right, Carl! If so, what a stupid ass I am. Thanks for the
correction.

Do you know why it has the doublet _kanílau_ in Bikol?

Incidentally Quisumbing (1978), my source, doesn't mention the form _kanéla_
(entered in your dictionary), and doesn't say that _kaníla_ is also Tagalog.

Best

Jean-Paul G. POTET. B. P. 46. 92114 CLICHY CEDEX. FRANCE.