portmanteau

potet POTETJP at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 12 08:35:43 UTC 2001

"Philippine breakfasts: tapsi- bbq beef (beef jerky) + fried rice (tapa =
jerked beef; sinangag =
fried rice); tapsilog- the former with an egg (itlog); tapsigaw- tapsi with
porridge (lugaw).
Filipinos love to create new words in this fashion. I know quite a few
families that name their children from various permutations of the parents'
names.
The National Academy also tried to coin professions with the help of the
root 'dalubhasa'' 'expert'. These have not caught on: dalubwika'  linguist;
dalub-aghamtao  anthropologist (agham = science, tao - man)" Carl RUBINO

Dear Carl,

I have always been dazzled by the easiness with which Tagalogs coin
portmanteaus the way various parts are combined and assembled into jeepneys,
or ingredients into Filipino dishes. There is a striking behaviorial pattern
here. I also noticed these combinations are often seasoned with a good pinch
of humor.

You say "Filipinos love to create new words in this fashion". Is
portmanteauing found in all Philippine languages or are there some like
Tagalog, and others which do not have it?

What about other Austronesian languages?
Has this facility always been there and used or is it a modern development?

Best

Jean-Paul G. POTET. B. P. 46. 92114 CLICHY CEDEX. FRANCE.