sinangag

Erik Zobel zobel at th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de
Sat May 12 12:58:56 UTC 2001

Most likely North Halmaheran 'sinanga' originates from the Luwuk-Banggai
area (eastern Central Sulawesi). In Banggai, you have:

man-sanga 'deep fry'
s<in>anga 'fried bananas' with productive passive infix <in>.

Note that literally, 'sinanga' just means 'something deep fried', but in
many areas of this part of Sulawesi bananas are staple food. 'Sinanga' is
also common in Saluan with the same meaning as in Banggai, although I
don't know if there is a corresponding verb **mon-sanga. Another term for
'fried bananas' in Saluan is 'sanggal', which must be a loan from
Makassarese 'sanggaraq'.

The etymology of the Banggai verb 'sanga' is unclear. It is _not_ derived
from PMP *sangelaR, since *R always becomes "l" in Banggai.

---Erik Zobel