Filipino-1 + portmanteau question

Carl Rubino carlrubino at home.com
Sun May 13 16:06:43 UTC 2001

Dear John-Paul,
Thanks for the review of Constantino's new English-Tagalog dictionary. I was
told by one of his students/compilers that it would be highly controversial,
in that "street Tagalog" would be the norm used for defining English words.
  Seeing your definition of forklift, I see such is the case - to the dismay
of all the Filipino purists and Tagalog teachers, and to the delight of
language learners.
  I have to add that the form 3s.GEN-proper noun marker "nila" is actually
used for "nina" in the modern Manila dialect - even though it carries
another function (3s genitive pronoun). The substandard form "kila" must
have been invented by analogy - but I have no idea who uses it, as I have
never heard it. It is reported in some dictionaries as a colloquial form
(Vicassans) - does anyone here know where it is used?
  I see he has confusingly revolutionized Philippine spelling too (gadget =
gadjet instead of gadyet). I am assuming he only uses "j" in new foreign
words? How about palatalizations from foreign words that have been fully
incorporated into Tagalog? I hope he doesn't spell diyos "god, f. spanish"
as jos, and "diyeta" (diet) as "jeta".
***
  Now-- regarding your previous message about the creativity of Filipinos in
creating new lexical items, names, food, etc. I cannot speak for all
languages, but I can say that I don't think the Tagalogs are any more
creative than the Ilocanos when it comes to creating new items. There are
items that are created unofficially that are used. My favorite is pinakbaw
from pinakbet 'national Ilocano vegetable dish, from pa- caus, -in-
perfective, kebbet 'shrink when cooked' + sabaw 'Tagalog for broth' - watery
pinakbet. Official coinages (agreed upon by an academy) are less used by the
general public but appear here and there in literature (p. 114-115 of my
dissertation): batonlagip 'monument' (bato 'stone', lagip 'memory' - this is
actually a title of an Ilocano song); balandaniw 'theater' (balay 'house' +
daniw 'poetry/song'); sarindaniw 'epic' (sarita 'story' + daniw
'poetry/song'); silaw-it 'electricity' (from silaw 'light' + sal-it
'lightning'); sariugma 'ancient tale' (sarita 'story' + ugma 'former
times'), aribai 'queen' (ari 'king' + babai 'female'), balailaw 'lighthouse'
(balay 'house' + silaw 'light').
  Happy Mother's Day everyone,
  -Carl