Tagalog: industrialization

potet POTETJP at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 14 10:34:45 UTC 2001

"Industrialization" is such a key concept in the modern economy that I was
keen to see how Tagalog/Filipino dealt with it.

First of all, the language borrowed the Spanish terms:
Span. industria > Fil. indústriyá "industry"
Span. industrial > Fil. industriyál "industrial"
Span. industrialisado > Fil.  indústriyalisádo "industrialized"
Span. industrialista > Fil. industriyalísta "industrialist"

To express the verbs "to industrialize", Tagalog/Filipino uses
_indústriyalisádo_ "industrialized"
intransitive:

magíng indústriyalisádo "to become/get/go industrialized > to industrialize"
e.g. Dápat náting magíng indústriyalisádo. "We must get industrialized."

transitive:
gumawáng indústriyalisádo "to make industrialized > to industrialize" [actor
focus]
gawíng indústriyalisádo "to make industrialized > to industrialize" [patient
focus]
[gawa? + -in > gawín]
e.g. Dápat náting gawíng indústriyalisádo ang probínsyang iyán. "We must
industrialize that province."
e.g. Síno ang gágawáng indústriyalisádo sa probínsyang iyán? "Who will
industrialize that province?"

The interesting point here is that the verb _gawâ > gumawâ / gawín_ "make"
has taken on the value of the English factitive verb "to make" as in "to
make sb. happy, to make sb. the president of the country, to make sb. work
etc.". This is one more proof of the evolution of Tagalog/Filipino becoming
more and more analytical.

I wonder what verb Tagalogs would have coined a century ago:

*magpaindústriyá / *paindústriyahán    ?
e.g. *Dápat náting magpaindústriyá. "We must get industrialized."    ?
e.g. *Dápat náting paindústriyahán ang probínsyang iyán. "We must
industrialize that province."    ?
e.g. *Síno ang magpápaindústriyá sa probínsyang iyán? "Who will
industrialize that province?"    ?

Incidentally, I was unable to solve the problem posed by the secondary
stress on _dus_. I left it there in _paindústriyahán_. Shouldn't it move to
another position? But where?

[All examples are mine.]