portmanteau

Robert A. Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Tue May 22 02:21:12 UTC 2001

Dear all,

This whole matter of how neologisms might arise through blending in
Austronesian languages generally is discussed in my 'Austronesian root
theory':53ff (1987).  As can be seen from the examples given there and the
problems that they raise, a theory of neologism through blending raises
perhaps as many problems as it solves.

Bob Blust