Arguments vs. adjuncts as heads of relative clauses

Matthew S Dryer dryer at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Oct 19 22:02:49 UTC 2001

I think it should be emphasized that the query repeated below uses the
question of what NPs can be relativized in a nonstandard sense.  Normally,
when linguists talk about what NPs can be relativized or what grammatical
roles the head of a relative clause can have in a language, they are
referring to the grammatical role of the head in the RELATIVE clause, not
in the MAIN clause.  In all three examples cited by Whitney Postman in her
message, repeated here, the head of the relative clause is functioning as
the subject in the relative clause (though they have different functions
in the main clause):

(1) The woman [who is singing a lullaby] is holding a baby.
(2) The woman is holding a baby [who is sleeping].
(3) The baby is held by the woman [who is singing a lullaby].

These contrast with examples like (4) to (6), where the heads differ as to
their role in the relative clause:

(4) The woman [who is singing a lullaby] is holding a baby.
(5) The baby [that the woman is holding] is sleeping.
(6) The woman [that the baby is being held by] is singing.

Grammatical restrictions on what role the head can have in the main clause
are much less common than restrictions on what role the head can have in
the relative clause.

Matthew Dryer