9ICAL - workshop invitation

Gunter Senft Gunter.Senft at mpi.nl
Fri Sep 21 13:49:23 UTC 2001

9th International Congress on Austronesian Linguistics (9ICAL),
Canberra, 8-11 January 2002.

Invitation to participate in the workshop:

Serial Verb Constructions, Event-Conceptualization and Event-Report in
Austronesian and Papuan Languages

(accepted by the Austronesian Conference review committee)

Coordinators:
Miriam van Staden & Gunter Senft
MPI for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen

Dear colleagues!

we would like to invite you to participate in, and contribute to, our
workshop on "Serial Verb Constructions, Event-Conceptualization and
Event-Report in Austronesian and Papuan Languages". In this workshop we
would like to discuss - among other things - the following general
topics:

-       What characterizes SVCs in Austronesian languages?
-       What kind of lexicalization processes can we observe
        in Austronesian SVCs?
-       What can SVCs tell us about event construal and event
        report and can we observe language- and/or culture-
        specific conceptualizations of events?

(For some of the problems that come up in researching SVCs we created
 a questionnaire that can be accessed via the internet:
 http://www.mpi.nl/world/serial-verb/quest/1st-quest.html)

During this workshop individual talks (of approximately 30 minutes
followed by 10 minutes discussion time) will be followed by a general
discussion.

Please let us know whether you are interested in giving a talk. If so,
we would highly appreciate if you could send us a short summary of your
paper as soon as possible.

We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Yours sincerely,
                Miriam van Staden
                Gunter Senft

--