Plagiarism

Jeff Marck jeff.marck at att.net
Sat Aug 17 16:00:40 UTC 2002

Amusing myself at a loading dock here in Les Etas Unis, four months into
what I hope will be my last year writing a book about trucking fatalities.

Since the advent of the fax some decades ago, shipping offices, receiving
offices and trucking company dispatchers have shared amusing things they
post onto their bulletin boards.

Here I’ve plagiarized one of the old standards to read:

A PhD

Is said to know a GREAT deal about VERY LITTLE and goes along knowing MORE
and MORE about LESS and LESS until finally s/he knows practically
EVERYTHING about NOTHING.

A Graduate Student

On the other hand, knows a VERY LITTLE about a GREAT deal and keeps knowing
LESS and LESS about MORE and MORE until s/he knows practically NOTHING
about EVERYTHING,

Whereas

An Undergraduate Student

Starts out knowing practically EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING, but ends up
knowing NOTHING about ANYTHING, due to his/her association with Phds and
graduate students.

You can download this in Word95 format, suitable for framing, from:

http://home.att.net/~jeff.marck/Plagiarism.doc

The version that has been making the rounds in North America reads:

"Broker" for "PhD"
"Dispatcher" for "Graduate Student"
and
"Truck Driver" for "Undergraduate Student"

"The Suspect" was last seen "on-duty, not driving" in the Buckeye

Jeff Marck
PO Box 27129
Omaha NE 68127 USA
USA-402-578-3462 (cell)