millet fields in Taiwan

Laurent Sagart Laurent.Sagart at ehess.fr
Wed Aug 21 11:55:46 UTC 2002

HawaiianDear Colleagues,

Does anybody know where to find millet fields cultivated by speakers of AN languages in Taiwan ?

On the occasion the IPPA conference in Taipei next month, Tracey Lu (a China archaeologist who specializes in the domestication of millets) and myself are planning to take advantage of the mid-conference pause to go looking for millet fields (Setaria and Panicum), and if possible gather some samples for genetic analysis and comparison with mainland varieties. Our problem is that we do not knwo where to go ! And the time we have is limited (a day and a half). It is proving difficult to locate such fields (especially in the Taipei region). Where to go ? We'd appreciate any leads.

Laurent Sagart
CRLAO
54 Bd Raspail
75270 Paris cedex 06