Arte de la lengua tagala

Vanish8080 at aol.com Vanish8080 at aol.com
Fri Jul 12 21:12:02 UTC 2002

Hello AN-LANG listers,

I was able to borrow a copy of Fr. Sebastian Totanes's ARTE DE LA LENGUA
TAGALA. Very interesting to see how Tagalog was like centuries ago.

I noticed this verb paradigm in the book:

              Old Tagalog         Modern Tagalog
Infinitive    sumulat             sumulat
Completed     sungmulat           sumulat
Progressive   sungmusulat         sumusulat
Contemplated  susulat             susulat

I don't remember seeing this in the Doctrina Cristiana, though I no longer
have access to a copy so I could check. But, is this accurate?  I'm refering
to the addition to (I assume) of a velar nasal within the infix -UM-.

Was this just limited to a few dialects or to many? And does it exist today
in any current Tagalog dialects or Philippine languages?

Thanks,

--Christopher Sundita

http://members.aol.com/vanish8080/rplanguages.html
http://home.san.rr.com/bikol/