2 job vacancies: English-Maori machine translation

Alistair Knott alik at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jul 25 23:24:48 UTC 2002

UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO Dunedin, New Zealand

Research Assistant/Junior Research Fellow (Grade I)
School of Mäori Studies and the Department of Computer Science
(Two positions)

Fixed Term

The University of Otago invites applications for two positions of Research
Assistant and/or Junior Research Fellow (Grade I) on a project involving
the development of a machine translation system for Mäori and English for
use in Mäori language learning.  These positions are funded by the
Foundation of Research, Science and Technology for three years.  Ideally,
these positions will commence early November 2002, but the starting date
is negotiable.

Applicants must be graduates and have qualifications in one or more of the
following: Mäori Studies, Computer Science, Linguistics and Education.
Previous experience is not essential, but candidates must have a strong
command of the Mäori language and Mäori cultural expertise for both
positions.

Suitably qualified applicants may be appointed at a higher level if
appropriate.

Enquiries should be directed to Dr Alistair Knott, Department of Computer
Science, telephone:  03 479 8299 or by email: alik at cs.otago.ac.nz or
Professor John Moorfield, Te Tumu, School of Mäori Studies, telephone:
03 479 8677 or by email:  john.moorfield at stonebow.otago.ac.nz.

Applications quoting reference number GG02/562 close on 16 September 2002.

TE WHARE WÄNANGA O OTÄGO
Ötepoti, Aotearoa

Kaiäwhina Rangahau / Kaiäwhina Rangahau Tuarua (Pae I)
Te Tumu me Te Tari Pütaiao Rorohiko
(E rua ngä türanga)

Türanga mö Te Toru Tau

He inoi atu tënei nä Te Whare Wänanga o Otägo kia tono mai te hunga mö ngä
türanga e rua, mö te Kaiäwhina Rangahau me te Kaiäwhina Rangahau Tuarua
(Pae I) mö tëtahi mahi kia taea ai te whakamäori, te whakapäkehä hoki ki
te rorohiko. Hei äwhina ki te ako i te reo Mäori tënei mahi.  Mä te pütea
Tüäpapa Rangahau Pütaiao e utu ënei türanga mö ngä tau e toru.  Ko te
hiahia ka tïmata ënei türanga ä te tïmatanga o Nöema, 2002, engari, mä te
whakawhitiwhiti whakaaro ka whakatauria.

Me whai tohu o te whare wänanga te kaitono, ä, me whai hoki he mätauranga
nö tëtahi, nö ëtahi ränei o ënei: te ao Mäori, te Pütaiao Rorohiko, te
Mätauranga Wetereo, te Mätauranga ränei.  Kei te pai mehemea he mahi hou
tënei mä ngä kaitono, engari, me matatau ki te reo me ngä tikanga Mäori.

Ki te whai tohu mätauranga, pümanawa ränei te kaitono ka taea te whakatü
ki tëtahi pae e teitei ake ana i te pae tuatahi.

Tukuna mai ngä uiui e pä ana ki te kaupapa mahi ki a Täkuta Alistair Knott
o Te Tari Pütaiao Rorohiko, waea 03 479 8299, ïmëra: alik at cs.otago.ac.nz,
ki a Te Tüähöanga Matarehu o Te Mätauranga, ki a John Moorfield ränei o Te
Tumu, waea: 03 479 8677, ïmëra: john.moorfield at stonebow.otago.ac.nz.

Tohua te nama GG02/562 ki tö tono.  Ka kati ngä tono ä te 16 o Hepetema,
2002.