cognate vocab as a measure of relatedness

Ross Clark (FOA DALSL) r.clark at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 12 05:05:03 UTC 2002

In the back of Samarin's book Field Linguistics, he gives parallel 100-item
lists in English, French, Spanish and German, which makes it fairly handy
for a quick computation. Using a generous definition of cognacy, I get

    English-German    75%
    English-French     36%

Given that 200-list figures are normally lower, this would be roughly
consistent with the numbers that Andy has quoted.
Note that the English-French cognates are almost all directly-inherited. The
only ones clearly resulting from ME borrowings are person/personne,
grease/graisse, mountain/montaigne and round/rond.

Ross Clark