Low Vowel Dissimilation

John Lynch lynch_j at VANUATU.USP.AC.FJ
Wed Nov 13 05:25:29 UTC 2002

I am investigating a phenomenon which is found in a number of languages of
Micronesia and Vanuatu (synchronic in a few, historical in others), whereby
the first /a/ in an /aCa/ sequence dissimilates, usually to /e/, and
probably via schwa. In some of these languages, the rule operates (or
operated) from left to right:
  *matana > metana > metena (eventually meten)
but in others, it operates/d from right to left, with the first
dissimilation blocking any further application:
  *matana > matena (eventually maten)

Directionality is apparently not geographicallyh based: some languages in
each area show one direction of operation, and some in each area show the
other.

This kind of dissimilation is unusual enough to suggest that we may be
dealing with a single historical process in a language ancestral to all
dissimilating languages in this region. However, this would imply a change
in directional operation of the rule at some period in some language(s). Can
anyone direct me to other examples of this kind of directional change?

Many thanks in advance.

John Lynch

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

John Lynch
Emalus Campus, USP
PMB 072. Port Vila. VANUATU
Phone: (+678) 22748.   Fax: (+678) 22633
Email: lynch_j at vanuatu.usp.ac.fj