"AN" genetics

Jeff Marck jeff.marck at att.net
Mon Sep 9 11:34:08 UTC 2002

Some months ago I had a whinge on this list about the geneticists
researching/publishing on the genetics of Austronesian speakers.

I put it to a number of the illuminaries that they needed to publish what
they have said, what they have not said and what they have meant and what
they have not meant in an Index Medicus indexed journal. Ten of us
(linguists, archaeologists, a comparative social anthrpologist and a
biological anthropologist) are now chipping away at an article to be
submitted to such a journal in the next few months.

Last week I posted a list of genetics titles to the ASAO list warning
subscribers that not all the titles were as useful as others. I have just
posted, to ASAO, a explanation of my complaints. I've pasted that
immediately below, followed by the list of titles I've/we've been looking at.
----
TODAY'S POSTING TO ASAO:
----
I can't believe people are interested. Maybe eight people will read our
paper rather than the normal five. Message divided into: Descent, Genetics,
Updating "Express Train" lecture notes, and References

DESCENT

I don’t actually have any theoretical bones to pick on the descent group
question and came into the work by chance.

June Helm didn’t drill us or grill on, for instance, kin systems at Iowa in
the 70s and was clear that general ethnography was still of value but not
fashionable.

If you went out looking for descent groups, e.g., on Pohnpei or Chuuk, it
is my understanding that the matrilineal clan is kind of a remnant of
grander things in the past. Although they continue to define units of
exogamy and the basic concept of what constitutes incest and what does not,
Pohnpeian rank and prestige structures are based on title systems while on
Chuuk it seems to me that land and rank/prestige structures were based on
patri affiliations.

The Saipan Carolinians are a profoundly matri-lineal and (until very
recently) matri-local group. As I ask them, in a post-modernist sense of
giving them the broadest possible opportunity to speak about life
(postmodernists are better listeners, aren't they?), whatever
 as I ask
them what they want in this history / ethnography they want me to write

MANY of them spontaneously mention the clans while for others its the
furthest thing from their minds
 either because they don’t much care or
because there is a history of profound secrecy about such things.

I haven’t read the Pohnpei and Chuuk stuff for 30 years but work by Per
Hage has come to intrigue me (recent titles at the end of this email), and
general knowledge of what he is on about allowed me to grasp the
significance of some things Gibbons mentioned when it went right by a lot
of other people (see below).

Anyway, accidental voyaging
 I reconstructed the Proto Pn kinterm system
because Andrew Pawley said "you HAVE to". "Horrors", I thought, as people
tend to have strong views on kinship, which way the shifts are going, etc.

so "I embarked on [that] project with a pronounced sense of trepidation..."

My work came to the attention of Hage and we have been working together
ever since, him doing the social anthropology, me doing the linguists
(Proto Pn, Proto Mc, and now we are starting a Bantu project). It was like
mountain climbing to me. I did it simply because it was there.

But then I started reading Per’s other stuff and it’s just fascinating. Per
has gone back to a lot of old kinship stuff and found a lot of missing
links
 i.e., things that NEVER or ALWAYS occur and why (where the old
sources were able to discern the pattern but not the reasons why). Of
interest to a linguist, at any rate
 logical systems
 they conspire to
"make sense" along various logical dimensions that are certainly opaque of
no conscious interest to individual speakers
 recurrent examples of the
overall language communities "filling in the holes" sort of thing.

Kind of explains why Samoan is such an odd terminological system given the
rest of the Pn systems: matrilineality broke down and the kin terms had
none of the new "slots" to fill with the old terms in the same sense that
Tongan and East Polynesian.

If it sounds like I’m implying these are instant responses to social change
I don’t mean to imply that at all. But the systems aren’t always wreckage
of things past and their general correlations with the synchronic society
are rather consistent.

Onward and upward:

GENETICS AND POc MATRILINEALITY

I complained about a few "Austronesian" genetics sources over this list a
week or ten days ago but didn’t say why. The first is:

Gibbons, Ann
2001    The peopling of the Pacific. Science 291(5509):1735-1737.

Oppenheimer mentioned on this list that the above was a news article
and my coauthors (on a magnum opus concerning genetics and the
prehistory of AN speakers) have also related that it isn’t appropriate
to cite or criticize news items in research papers.

I am actually quite grateful to Gibbons on one level. She makes clear that
the Polynesians initially arrived in Polynesian (3,000 years ago) with
mainly SE Asian mtDNA and mainly Melanesian/Papuan Y-chrom DNA. "Well,
that’s it", I thought. "Proto Oceanic society was matri-lineal/-local."
(See Hage titles below)

My central complaint concerning Gibbons, which I am mentioning on this and
other lists, is the same as for:

Oppenheimer, Stephen, and Martin Richards
2001a   Fast trains, slow boats, and the ancestry of the Polynesian
islanders. Science Progress 84(3):157-181.
Oppenheimer, Stephen J., and Martin Richards
2001b   Slow boat to Melanesia? Nature 410(6825):166-167.

and my complaint is their unreferenced assertions that the:

language distribution and migration theory model > out of Taiwan > "Express
Train" model

allows little or no mixing of human genetics along the way.

No linguist has ever said or implied such a thing. Or if one ever did no
citation is made of such and it wouldn't have been representative of the
larger body of linguists anyway.

Every introduction to historical/comparative linguistics text of which I am
aware specifically makes the point that there is no general expectation of
correlation or continuity between language, society, material culture,
biological ancestry, etc. The default is the null hypothesis. Then one
begins chipping away at how likely or unlikely the null hypothesis is.

Oppenheimer and Richards (2001a), for instance, is an accomplished overview
of SOME of the prehistory but their unreferenced assertion that the
linguists don't allow any genetic mixing sets them off wrestling a straw
man to the ground and it becomes kind of involuted and senseless.

Such unreferenced assertions are beginning to appear in Pacific genetics
articles in general but I mention the three above as they then make this
the centerpiece of how geneticists are going to solve the linguists'
"problem". We are researching the history of the idea.

I would say that these unreferenced claims libel and defame us (the
linguists, archaeologists and others who are attempting disciplined
syntheses of Pacific prehistory), make us vulnerable to ridicule in the
international community of prehistorians and we would be glad if the
geneticists would simply cease and desist. But as they accuse no one of
saying "no-mixing", there are no injured individuals. Not enough Yanks
concerned to work up to litigiousness anyway.

The illuminaries involved in the magnum opus say it is a familiar sort of
misunderstanding in the history of science as two or more disciplines which
have not worked closely together, come to scrutinize a problem and begin
referring to the others’ works.

As for how the linguists are actually speaking of such things in recent
years, I cite a passage from

Pawley, Andrew K. and Malcolm Ross
1995 The prehistory of Oceanic languages: A current view. In The
Austronesians: Historical and comparative perspectives. Edited by Peter
Bellwood, James J. Fox, and Darrell Tryon, pp. 39-74. Canberra: Department
of Anthropology, Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, Australian
National University.

	... some Oceanic speakers moved through Melanesia
	into the Central Pacific, and they moved through
	rapidly enough to retain their Southern Mongoloid
	phenotype. pp. 60

Possibly "rapidly enough to retain an obvious Southern Mongoloid component
in their phenotype" would have been a better phrasing from several points
of view but the passage makes clear the general expectation of linguists
that Austronesian speakers would have been "mixing" with any proximus groups.

SUGGESTIONS FOR UPDATING LECTURE NOTES ON THE "OUT OF TAIWAN / EXPRESS
TRAIN" MODEL

So if you're going to update your lecture notes and tell your students what
the bottom line presently appears to be, the following will probably have
some durability in distilling the language distribution and migration
theory model + linguistic paleontology + comparative ethnography +
archaeology + anyone willing to help + genetics "Triangulation" method
(Kirch and Green 2001 Hawaiki, Ancestral Polynesia: An essay in historical
anthropology. Cambridge (the method, not my, perhaps, bold sweep of the
method applied to AN as a whole))) model:
-----
Austronesian speaking populations emerged out of Taiwan migrating rapidly
and spreading out thinly to the south. They were probably
patri-lineal/-local through the first centuries of dispersal and would have
tended to pick up, over time, more Insular SE Asian mitochondrial DNA than
Y-chrom. However, the Proto Oceanic speakers were certainly
matri-lineal/-local and picked up more Y-chrom than mtDNA as they expanded
through Melanesia on their way to Polynesia and Micronesia. Within this
general framework is the notion that the Polynesians, for instance, could
have arrived in Polynesia with an Asian-derived language, an Asian-derived
society, material culture and procurement complex, and POSSIBLY, no East
Asian DNA at all. But they didn't. They arrived with a little bit of Taiwan
Y chrom left, at any rate. Particular to the Ami, as it turns out, whose
language has be mentioned, by Malcolm Ross, as possibly having a special
relationship to extra-Taiwan AN (MalayoPolynesian).
-----