[An-lang] COOL6 - potential problem

Daniel Long dlong at bcomp.metro-u.ac.jp
Fri Aug 1 03:58:25 UTC 2003

John and fellow linguists,

I will tell you what little I know about it.  These regulations by no
means are only for "exotic" countries.  In April I hosted a prominent UK
linguist here in Japan who had been scheduled to teach at the Summer
Institute of Linguistics in Michigan this summer, but his participation
in that was canceled because the US government's demands (that he travel
to London from his home in Switzerland for an interview, and leave his
passport with them even though he had to use it to come here to Japan)
made it virtually impossible.   Several Americans involved called their
Congressional representatives to no avail.

Obviously, the US government is distrustful right now of Muslims,
including those in the UK.   This might not affect Oceanists, but
Austronesianists from Indonesia, Philippines, etc. might be scrutinized.
   This is purely, however, simply speculation based on what I know
about the UK example.

FYI.

Danny Long

--
Daniel Long, Associate Professor     *** NEW TEL*** +81-426-77-2206
Japanese Language and Literature Dept.         fax  +81-426-77-2140
mailto:dlong at bcomp.metro-u.ac.jp
http://nihongo.human.metro-u.ac.jp/long/