[An-lang] COOL6 - RELOCATION

John Lynch lynch_j at VANUATU.USP.AC.FJ
Thu Aug 7 01:45:01 UTC 2003

Pila Wilson, of the University of Hawai'i at Hilo, has announced that he
would regretfully have to withdraw Hilo as the location for COOL6 (Sixth
International Conference on Oceanic Linguistics). This is not just in
relation to the discussion on this list on visa difficulties for some
potential participants, but also due to financial and personnel difficulties
that have recently surfaced.

A number of senior Oceanists have suggested that COOL6 thus be relocated to
Port Vila, Vanuatu, which hosted the first of these conferences. We have
agreed to be responsible for it, and to avoid any potential confusion will
host the conference on the same dates as were originally scheduled: 4-9
July, 2004.

A full detailed announcement will be sent to this list and other interested
participants within the next day or so. Information will also be made
available in due course on the Pacific Languages Unit website:
http://www.vanuatu.usp.ac.fj/paclangunit/homepage.htm
<http://www.vanuatu.usp.ac.fj/paclangunit/homepage.htm>

I would like to thank Pila for the work he put into getting the conference
moving, and sympathise with him on the various problems he had to face which
eventually led to his decision.

John Lynch

John Lynch
Pro-VC and Director Pacific Languages Unit
Emalus Campus - USP
PMB 072
Port Vila. Vanuatu.
Phone: +678 22748.  Fax:  +678 22633