[An-lang] Proto-Dialect chains

terrell at fmnh.org terrell at fmnh.org
Tue Jul 15 22:11:43 UTC 2003

Colleagues,

I think we need to consider the likelihood that from a sociolinguistic
perspective, the problem John Lynch is bringing to our attention is a
larger one than terminology of any sort may be able to handle, i.e., we
need to keep in mind, too, how problematic is the root concept of
something being "ancestral" to something else when that "something" we
are talking about is language.

Or so Terry Hunt, Joel Bradshaw, and I have argued in a recent issue of
Pacific Studies:

Terrell, J. E. , Hunt, T. L., J. Bradshaw (2002). "On the Location of
the Proto-Oceanic Homeland."
Pacific Studies 25(3):57-93

John

John Edward Terrell, PhD